Conversationalists; Clarity; VC's edge & More
Your monthly newsletter on Vietnamese in tech
Hi! Welcome to issue No.3 of Accelerate Vietnam.
COVID-19 has returned to Vietnam. I hope you are all staying safe during these anxious and unusual times. Although forcing everyone to be online is going to accelerate the transition to tech, I must admit, I miss 2019 so much. ❤️
Before we dive in, I just want to say thank you for subscribing to my newsletter. If you enjoy it, please do forward it to a friend.
Have a productive week!
Thanh Nguyen, COO of BAEMIN Vietnam, spoke with Vietcetera about building a culture of conversationalists. At BAEMIN, more casual chatting with colleagues is encouraged, not frowned upon. 💬
Also, to help immerse team members in the spirit and work culture, they keep Credo, a handbook with core values, role models, and work culture, in circulation. In daily affairs and communication, employees can refer to Credo to modify their behavior and make decisions accordingly.
From the Maker
When employees leave, they don’t leave because you do fewer parties or fewer celebrations. Learn how Tiki is managing people and hiring leaders. Sakshi Jawa / Tiki via Vietcetera
How to communicate with Clarity as an engineer. Nathan Nguyen / Facebook
MoMo is not about hiring overachieving superstars and having the rest of the company revolve around them. They are about team players, builders, talented and passionate individuals working together towards a common goal. ✋ Manisha Shah / MoMo
From the Investor
Know Your Edge As A VC: A perspective on how LPs assess the edge of one GP over another and the indication for an ability to generate above-average returns. Ha Duong / Cambrial & Ocean Investment
(In Vietnamese) Many people go freelance after just a few years of work. But little do they know, freelancers are not startups. Christy Le / Alabaster
Human Capital Matters: How to recruit the right people, retain top performers and let an employee go graciously. Dung Hoang / Genesia Ventures
Trending in Vietnam Tech
Vietnamese digital investment platform Realstake secures seed funding from 500 Startups. 🏒
Hiip secures bridge funding led by Vulpes.
GoViet is to be rebranded as Gojek Vietnam.
GoViet appoints Phung Tuan Duc as general manager.
Telio founder is accused of breaching fiduciary duty by his previous startup. He denies the claims.
Tiki and Sendo's proposed mega-merger falls through amid coronavirus crisis.
beGroup partners with ComfortDelGro's local unit to launch beTaxi. 🚖
Overseas Vietnamese 🌎
Huong Tran, co-founder of an event house and a co-living space in Finland, spoke with Entrepreneurs of Finland about her entrepreneurial journey. “It’s never a waste to ask and try. You might win or lose but what is 100% guaranteed is that if you don’t even try, nothing will happen.”
Mogul, a company helping organisations advance diverse talents founded by Tiffany Pham, secures seed funding from SoftBank.
RENS Original (by Jesse Khanh Tran and Son Chu) was featured on Germany's most popular infotainment show - Galileo.
– She Loves Tech, 👩 the world’s biggest startup competition for women and technology, is returning for the sixth time this year with fully online competition and conference. If you have any questions about the competition, please feel free to ping me.
– Applications are now open for the Reforge Fall 2020 Career Accelerator Programs. These intensive 6-week programs are designed for experienced tech professionals in product, marketing, data, design, and engineering. The programs are led by top leaders from Silicon Valley companies such as Slack, Uber, Instagram, and more.
– SLINGSHOT 2020, Asia’s most exciting deep tech startup competition returns for its fourth year with the theme “Creating the New Normal.”
– Antler’s next Singapore program will start in the second half of October 2020 and they are taking applications for it. Apply here.
– Unusual Founder Workshop Series 🔮 focuses on three key areas for founders building enterprise software companies—finding product-market fit, telling your empathetic story, and early sales outreach—as well as three areas for founders building consumer technology startups—finding product-market fit, growth, and positioning. Apply before August 30.
– Quest Ventures is organising Vietnam Global Acceleration, an acceleration program to position startups for success in Vietnam through mentorship, business matching, and support in navigating its business landscape.
– YC launched YC Startup Library with tons of content that consolidate the knowledge and advice they've previously published.
Meet the VC: Gobi Partners ✨
Against All Odds Startup Summit (APAC)
How to hire a good CTO?
The Cloud 100 (with speakers from Zoom, Canva, Zendesk, etc.)
🗓️October 7 & 8
Zero Code Conference 2020
More things I consumed this month
Listen 🎧 The differences between Europe and Asia's venture landscape
Attend 👀 Antler's Southeast Asia virtual demo day
Thank you for being part of Accelerate Vietnam this month. 👋
If you are a Vietnamese investor, founder or startup operator, I'd love to feature your content. If you come across a blog post that you think I should feature, please let me know via the same form.
Comments, questions, tips? Send me a direct note.